Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Fictions on the Beginnings of the Enlightenment

There is a huge glass jar in the middle of the main square; they say the guardians of the King put it there to show everyone the power of his kingdom. They brought it with the help of the strongest horses in the town, dragging it on top of huge round wooden beams that one after another, were set on the path of the gigantic thing in order to reach the center of the place. Never before had I seen anything so bright that didn’t hurt the eyes, and at the same time so eternal that could fit in such a little space. “It is only marmalade” the rumors say; Oh, milord! These rumors in town are always so fast that they can easily escape from mouths not properly shut, and then look forward to hide in those heads willing to have a tenant who sows with gossip their brains. Nevertheless, if you just give some credit to those rumors and approach a little, you will see that what is inside the jar is indeed some kind of Royal jelly, some type of marmalade made out from elements really bright and with an eternal appearance; yes, like if you were looking the night sky full with stars through a window. For now, no label can be seen, I refer to the one that has the contents listed on it, I mean the one with the ingredients printed on it, and is just that we have not come to that era yet, the era of industrialized products in glass jars; the only legend that now can be seen, is the legend that some royal soldiers are pasting now on the crystal surface of the recipient with some glue, made like it is commonly prepared, out of heated wheat flour and water. But, who in the whole square can read?, neither men nor women, nor children or… well, animals; but there is that royal guardian who climbs with decision to the top of a pile of apple boxes, and displays a long yellow and medieval scroll while some metal trumpets shout out loud in their official and metallic language: "Pay attention, is the messenger of the King who will speak”, the people come together and stay silent; in the Medieval Ages people always stay silent. The royal messenger clears his voice and with a powerful sound reads the mysterious contents of the long paper roll. “Behold, dear people, you have a gift from our Noble Queen to you; before your eyes I hold the proof that God is on our side. It's a special jam, is not sweet but it tastes like paradise, is not made out of fruit but instead, is a jam made from the light of stars and galaxies. As infinite as the entire cosmos and as bright as the smile of our beloved Queen” – That strange woman, “Our Lady of the Dark Magic” they call her, For sure she is our queen and we all show our deepest fear and respect, even if we have never seen her from close. Now the rumors are clearly saying that she has prepared it in the Royal Gardens, which as far as I know from what people is saying, are gardens made of a thousand lakes that collect the light of millions of stars and then condense it to form that marmalade. They say that on the shores of the gardens, ethereal plants grow flowers in the shape of small galaxies that light the way among the water mirrors; some people say is a fabulous water garden, they say is a garden of light that, despite of its bright nature, black magic has created.

In the vast square in front of the big glass jar filled with galaxies marmalade, which is as tall as five men one standing on the shoulders of another, the people is already forming a line, they all carry their containers since they were commanded under the King's orders to go to their houses and come back with them, all this mare magnum of people has not been seen on the town since the last eclipse, when it was allowed that only for few minutes, all kinds of people, rich or poor, children or old fellows, men or women, gathered together at the same time on the main square, On this afternoon, people have gathered to have their recipients filled with the bright and eternal jam, if I may call it like this. The King's guardians climb up and down the long wooden staircase with full deposits for the people in the town. “Whoever eats of this jelly will be full with light and wisdom, whoever consumes it will have eternal life”. After having their deposits filled people hurry to their places walking fast like a huge herd of ostriches, the night falls down and it is not good that at this hour of the evening and right in the Medieval Ages, there are souls exposed walking out there and at the expense of demons, so now they walk back with their hands around their deposits and recipients, keeping with care the bright and eternal content.

If you look down into a bowl of jelly you can easily get the impression of falling down and escaping away to the infinity, it is necessary to take it with a little cover so to know where you place your feet. “Is it not true, dear Laura, that it was banned to us the use of wisdom in this period of ignorance and superstition? Is it not incoherent that the Queen herself wants us to feed with a substance pure in brightness and eternity?” As I speak, Laura tastes her lips that have just tried the fruit from the gardens of the Queen, her skin begins to shine and her face looks at me with mercy, now she knows infinitely more than me, she is wiser than any woman has ever been. "Try it my love!” she says. Maybe Adam felt the same as I feel now. I succumb to the seduction of her angelic smile. The marmalade is already on my fingers, and now, is already inside my mouth. Too late to repent.

The Queen is walking barefoot at night between water mirrors. Our Lady of the Black Magic is brilliant in mind, soul and body. It is also her brightness that as well, feed the different concentrations that will make out of water a dense marmalade of galaxies. With hands of white skin she picks up flowers in the shape of small galaxies and throws them into the big mirrors. The jelly making process requires a careful, meticulous, almost obsessive care and deep, true love. It is the job of our good Queen to grant to all her citizens the freedom they deserve through the achievement of knowledge. Making them all, stop fearing it and know that to know is something good. Like that, all immerse in a substance made of light and wisdom, they would stop fearing the wonderful world that surrounds their life and will stop being afraid of their own Queen. While she walks the Queen thinks: “The Enlightenment is a period in human history that must already start”. Bright and shiny people sleep now, and they are the ones who now have the most splendid dreams, far from dwelling on fears and superstitions they have entered in the paths of incredible scientific fantasies. They have in their inner bodies little pieces of condensed eternity, small pieces of eternal substance made out of condensed starlight. Their houses emit light through their windows, and Our Lady of the Black Magic silently watches from the top of a high hill where her palace is, all of her people sleeping. May the wolves of the insufferable ignorance escape now from our enlightened kingdom.

Those who do not sleep or dream on unique scientific fantasies make love. Now, on this special night, making love has turned into a scientific fantasy. Tonight, some of these amateur scientists are Laura and me. We are “lovenauts” traveling through the unending fields of love; we are “loveologists” I could say too, experimenting love at its maximum and possible power, as if it was a drug, as if it was a potion. We feel and look so brilliant, full with eternal knowledge, infinite knowledge I may say. I caress Laura’s legs; they feel like the softest material I've ever touched; now, I understand what I never did, I see how they are made of millions and millions of cells, each of them a microscopic but a still alive little being, requiring nutrients every second to perform mysterious but yet very important tasks, I see how they are little and fantastic creatures that altogether form tissues perfectly functional and still beautiful to the human observer. On nature, I arrive to the conclusion; beauty is not in detriment of functionality. Kisses and caresses increase the pleasure; knowledge is also a sexual stimulant. And suddenly, her lips send me in one second back in time when the Greeks built the Parthenon and philosophy, as a science, began; a couple of kisses on my eyes I am now transported to the exact moment in which Jesus slept peacefully in the Mount of Olives and dreamed, perhaps of me dreaming of him. Laura, already sweating under my body, pulls by accident a little table cloth covering the table next to the bed, and a flower vase smashes on the floor, I see the flowers lying there, still wet and with colorful petals, and now my sight goes to the exact moment in which the first button of the first flower of the first spring opened, and showed her petals to the sun, after years and years of incandescent and molten rock millions of years ago; Already, in the middle of a frenetic outburst of love, the wooden bed squeaks and squeals and I can see with the eyes of my mind, how the friction produces heat and the heat produces light, and I find myself now transported to the very second in which a seething mass of rock detached from a bigger one, and became the third planet of our solar system. Laura moans and trembles like the waves of the ocean crashing powerfully against the rocks on the beach, and then, here is me traveling on the blink of an eye, to the shores of North Europe and seeing the Vikings building their first cities; Laura takes my hands with hers and tightly squeezes them; in an instant, my hands become the hands of the first thinking man of a tribe of clumsy hominids using a tool to scratch a fruit; one of my hands now traces the outline of a bison in a cave in Altamira; outside the cave I see the melting ice of the last glaciations; my other hand is now holding the sling that threw the rock, that by hitting right between the eyes defeated Goliath; the people shouts their joy and applauds at me. It was me who did it, I was there! Back in our room Laura is so excited, and now she asks me to get up, grab her by her legs and make love to her on my feet. My strengths, with pure physical force, are now concentrating on my arms to join a big group of ancient people to lift the heavy rocks of Stonehenge and put them into place, now, in just an instant, I help to move the heavy blocks of the pyramids of Egypt, and feel the sharp whips on my back while Laura scratches it with her long nails. I feel I am the most amazing, the most wonderful being in the Universe, and I shout with all my strengths to the four winds my inner power. That sound trapped on the room takes me now to the top of the Pyramid of the Moon in Mexico; which hasn’t yet been taken by the Europeans, just like the rest of a continent that will be called America; I’m blowing through a sea snail to call and gather the wise men of the city to prepare for another human sacrifice. Laura is saying something, and I notice that I can understand all languages; I can speak in all dialects. I know all the songs and could recite all the poems that have ever been written, I understand now all the mysteries of the Universe! I'm as big as Jupiter and at the same time as small as an atom. I'm Adam, I'm Eve, I'm the first turn that the Moon gave around the Earth, and the first that gave the Earth around the Sun; Now, I just want to relax, I just want to go back to our room and tenderly kiss Laura, but I suddenly realize that we are floating above the bed, entwined in a spiral that is very similar to that one that keeps the secret of life and that will be known as DNA, we are at only few palms of the wooden and thatched roof, the light that comes from our bodies pictures the shadows of the different objects below us, those shadows dance and they also make love. Orgasm is our Big Bang theory, and although is not yet know as such, we know exactly how it works. The Universe was created from a divine climax. The Big Bang is just a universal orgasm and the stars and galaxies are only divine ejaculations floating in the Cosmos; perhaps the great womb from which all the Gods of all the cultures have or will born. -“Laura, kiss me and let’s make out of that electricity being created among us a whole new universe, we are now newborn Gods”. Now, after that tender kiss that closed the curtains of our passionate stage tonight, we sleep ... deeply, peacefully, on the arms of the other… we sleep.

It’s again on the next morning that the metallic trumpets of the messengers of the King are saying: “Good morning to everyone! Is in this square where now lays the future of our civilization; we say goodbye to the shadows that covered the hearts and minds of medieval people and welcome the knowledge and wisdom that now enlighten a new type of men”. The label glued on the big glass jar containing the galaxies jelly is now understandable. It says: "If I can read this then I have been saved”. Our Lady of the Black Magic now appears bright among us; she is no longer hidden in the Palace or behind the spears of aggressive guardians, and she smiles to us in a friendly manner. People in the town don’t fear her anymore, we now love her; we have stop calling her “Our Lady of the Black Magic” and now we just call her "Our dear Lady of the Sciences." This afternoon, the doors of the first university in Europe will be opened to the common people like me.

No comments:

Post a Comment